arma-, armaka 'ruined site'

Georg von Simson g.v.simson at EAST.UIO.NO
Thu Apr 2 15:32:06 UTC 1998

Bhadraiah Mallampalli wrote:

>I remember having read a verse in RGveda (page 583 in Indian edition by
>Griffith, I believe it is 10th mandala) which says 'O Agni, you successfuly
>quelled the hateful dASas and AryAs'. (Or look for AryAs in index to find the
>verse, that is how I found it.)
>
>Doesn't this mean the vedic tribes were other than both dAsAs and AryAs?

No, I do not think this would be a correct conclusion. There are several
passages where the poets seem to identify themselves with the Aryas, and -
on the other hand - others where their party fights both against
dAsas/dasyus and Aryas. It seems reasonable to me to keep to the
traditional explanation that Aryan tribes often fought against each other.

Best regards,
               Georg v. Simson