Aalim aalam

iao omar at ASTRO.OCIS.TEMPLE.EDU
Sat Sep 20 00:32:58 UTC 1997

Just to add to this, and to put more simply,

"aalim" means the one who knows, reference to a scholar, especially
religious scholar in Persian and Urdu usage of the terms.

the second word "aalam" means the world/universe and in Urdu also refers
to a 'condition' for want of a better word.

and yes it is also the name of a computer software.

Irfan Omar
Temple University