Quotes in Sukthankar

Swami Gitananda sg at COMPUSERVE.COM
Wed Oct 22 05:18:16 UTC 1997

Dear indologists,
I'm hoping somebody can help me locate the source of two quotes that
Sukthankar mentions in his "On the Meaning of the Mahabharata". I haven't
been able to trace them in spite of my best efforts.

The first one is by Matthew Arnold: "the subject of the epic poem must be
some one great complex action." I have searched his complete works that the
Univ. of Chicago put out, unsuccessfully.

The second one is by Hopkins, a little longer: "The sociological data of
the epic period show that society had advanced from a period when rude
manners were justifiable and tricks were considered worthy of a warrior to
one when a finer morality had begun to temper the crude royal and military
spirit. This is sufficient explanation of that historical anomaly found in
the Great Epic, the endeavour on the part of the priestly redactors to
palliate and excuse the sins of their heroes." Again, I have searched the
obvious sources, such as "The Great Epic of India", "The Social and
Military Position of the Ruling Class in Ancient India", and a number of
articles, but no luck.

Any help in locating these quotes, or any leads, will be *greatly*
appreciated. Thank you very much in advance,

Swami Gitananda