jIvanmukta (was Re: chAndogya upaniSad 1.1.8 and 8.3.5)

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at GLOBALXS.NL
Tue Oct 7 19:16:23 UTC 1997

Op 07-oct-97 schreef Vidyasankar Sundaresan:

>On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

>[..]

>> the problem however is, that if entities are not bound by human
restrictions
>> and their motives are beyond human understanding, they're as obsolete as a
>                                                               ^^^^^^^^

>You mean impossible, no? If at all a perpetuum mobile existed, it will
>never have gone obsolete!

if you accept the idea that ot exist for a thing means to exchange energy, a
perpetuum mobile, which has no energy exchange, is impossible because of its
obsoleteness

>> perpetuum mobile. whatever they'll do will be completely unreasonable and

>Or they won't do anything at all. In fact, the advaita school of
>upanishadic tradition insists that a real jIvanmukta is desireless
>and actionless.

>> accidental to humans. maybe the wales are jIvan mukTas: we'll never know!
>> Meister Eckhart cannot have been a jIvanmukTa, because he knew very well he
>> was human and bound by human restrictions and laws, but he didn't mind.
>> next time you see a jIvanmukTa you better cut his troat

>Now, now, there is no need to be so vehement about it, is there?

I don't want to advocate any use of violence, but as far as we know a
jIvanmukTa wouldn't mind. Since his/her actions and words are
incomprehensible, there would be no reason to suppose that s/he would protest.
Maybe s/he welcomes it.There's a story about Nagarjuna that his beheading
caused him to start living again several hundred years later and of course
write many more holy scriptures. BTW a jIvanmukTa could be capable of writing
understandable texts, since a text doesn't have to reveal the actual
intentions of the person who wrote it. Those are fleeting and entirely
personal.

-erik