jIvanmukta (was Re: chAndogya upaniSad 1.1.8 and 8.3.5)

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Tue Oct 7 01:24:36 UTC 1997

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

[..]

> the problem however is, that if entities are not bound by human restrictions
> and their motives are beyond human understanding, they're as obsolete as a
                                                               ^^^^^^^^

You mean impossible, no? If at all a perpetuum mobile existed, it will
never have gone obsolete!

> perpetuum mobile. whatever they'll do will be completely unreasonable and

Or they won't do anything at all. In fact, the advaita school of
upanishadic tradition insists that a real jIvanmukta is desireless
and actionless.

> accidental to humans. maybe the wales are jIvan mukTas: we'll never know!
> Meister Eckhart cannot have been a jIvanmukTa, because he knew very well he
> was human and bound by human restrictions and laws, but he didn't mind.
> next time you see a jIvanmukTa you better cut his troat

Now, now, there is no need to be so vehement about it, is there?

Vidyasankar