chAndogya upaniSad 1.1.8 and 8.3.5

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan Palaniappa at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 3 03:18:41 UTC 1997

In a message dated 97-10-02 18:52:33 EDT, narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN writes:

<<
 The form `satIyam' is given in the Upanishad. Sankara accepts the form
 `satiyam'. I do not think the form `sattiyam' is accepted.

"The Principal UpaniSads" Edited with Introduction, Text, Translation and
Notes by S. Radhakrishnan published by Humanities Press 1992 edition of the
original 1953 edition published by George Allen & Unwin, Ltd., has the form
'sattiyam'. He says, "For the classical UpaniSads the text followed is that
commented by ZaMkara. A multitude of variant readings of the texts exist,
some of them to be found in the famous commentaries, others in more out of
the way versions."

"The UpaniSads" translated by Max Muller has the following version, "This
name Sattyam consists of three syllables, sat-tI-yam*.  Sat signifies the
immortal, t, the mortal, and with yam he binds both...."  In the footnote for
sat-tI-yam, he says, "We ought probably to read Sattyam, and then Sat-tI-yam.
The I in tI would then be the dual of an anubandha i..". Muller says that he
has "endeavoured throughout to follow that text which is presupposed by the
commentaries, whether they are the works of the old ZankarAcArya, or the more
modern ZankarAnanda, or SAyaNa, or others."

Regards

S. Palaniappan