INDOLOGY (Was: Etymon: paTTaN)

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Sun Nov 23 16:31:53 UTC 1997

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Michael Witzel wrote:

>  What to do about it?
>
>  Yours curious (hope springs eternal)

Yes, I wonder too.  I try to make the manifesto clear, but that seems not
to be enough.

Perhaps an entrance exam?  (joke)

When INDOLOGY started, for quite a while it had about 3--50 members,
and although there was never a k.rta yuga, the discussion was less
elementary, I seem to recall.  Now there are 600 members, and as we all
know "big is different".  It is inevitable that the character of the forum
has changed.  But I remain unwilling to engage in heavy editorial work,
and no alternative is obvious to me.

Perhaps we need simply to attend to what is interesting and valuable, and
rapidly delete the rest?  The use of local tools like Procmail can help to
filter out topics and correspondents we are not interested in.

All the best,
Dominik

--
Dominik Wujastyk            Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine
email: d.wujastyk at ucl.ac.uk       183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, England