Language and dialect (was Re: Etymon: paTTaN, pattan, patan)

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Sun Nov 23 12:47:16 UTC 1997

At 05:46 AM 11/23/97 -0500, Ramalingam Shanmugalingam wrote:
>vanhakkam Thiru Palaniappan,
>      Thank you for dealing with the linguist's part of Krishna's unwanted
>response to a simple answer to a querry. I am not a linguist, but this
>demonising of Tamil and Tamil  scholars past and present is a vocation of
>some of the "converts" or 'pUttEvar' - Earth angels as they claim. I wish I
>could reply as a linguist which I cannot and hence, I am not dignifying the
>undignified onslaught of the so called scholars who sound Tamil but not Tamil
>scholars? Or at its best pro-Sanskrit! Thanks again. Shanmugalingam November
>23, 1997.

I have read S.Krishna's posting and do not find any thing offensive or
contraversial in it and I hope that all right thinking persons will
appreciate the sentiments expressed there. I do not understand all this talk
of demonising Tamil or Tamil Scholars. I do not have in my mailbox any
posting of Sri Palaniappan dealing with the linguistic part of S.Krishna's
posting. I think Sri Ramalingam is refering to some private communication.

I do not consider the word Pro-Sanskrit as a demeaning or degrading term.
We do not belong to Veera Dravidian sect to think that everything
Dravidian is good everything Aryan is bad.

regards,
sarma.