Gujarati

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Tue Nov 18 17:32:12 UTC 1997

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Michael Shapiro wrote:

> Lambert also wrote an INTRODUCTION TO THE DEVANAGARI SCRIPT FOR STUDENTS
> OF SANSKRIT, HINDI, MARATHI, GUJARATI AND BENGALI (Oxford University
> Press, 1953). The section on Gujarati script (pp.134-70) is excellent.

This is *such* an excellent intro to all these scripts.  It is a great
pity it is out of print.

Lambert also did volumes teaching the scripts of South India and Ceylon
(Kannada, Telugu, Malayalam, Tamil, and Sinhala). This used to be
available from the SOAS publications office as a cyclostyled reproduction
of Lambert's typescript.  But SOAS has apparently stopped making this
available and, I believe, no longer even has an original from which to
make copies.

I have a copy, but I am unwilling to lend it.

All the best,
Dominik

--
Dominik Wujastyk            Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine
email: d.wujastyk at ucl.ac.uk       183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, England