Jain Mahabharatas

Yigal Bronner yigal at MD2.VSNL.NET.IN
Fri Nov 14 00:29:28 UTC 1997

I am trying to gather information on Jain versions of the Mahabharata. I am
looking for versions of the story (is there a Jain text that enjoys, in the
Mahabharata domain, a status equal to that of the Paumacarita in the
Ramayana tradition?) as well as secondary literature.
Also, where is the theory about the sets of Baladevas, Vasudevas and
prativasudevas (of which the last set--Balarama, Krishna and Jarasandha--
form the heroes of Jain Mahabharatas) first textualized?
I will greatly appreciate any help or reference.
Yigal Bronner.

Yigal Bronner
Ph.D. candidate
Department for South Asian languages and Civilizations
University of Chicago.