Jain Mahabharatas

Joel H. Tatelman jhtatelman at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Fri Nov 14 01:12:36 UTC 1997

>I am trying to gather information on Jain versions of the Mahabharata. I am
>looking for versions of the story (is there a Jain text that enjoys, in the
>Mahabharata domain, a status equal to that of the Paumacarita in the
>Ramayana tradition?) as well as secondary literature.
>Also, where is the theory about the sets of Baladevas, Vasudevas and
>prativasudevas (of which the last set--Balarama, Krishna and Jarasandha--
>form the heroes of Jain Mahabharatas) first textualized?
>I will greatly appreciate any help or reference.
>Yigal Bronner.
>
>Yigal Bronner
>Ph.D. candidate
>Department for South Asian languages and Civilizations
>University of Chicago.

Dear Yigal,

You might try contacting Prof. Phyllis Granoff in the Dept. of Religious
Studies at McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4K1. She is
very well versed in Jaina literary traditions. I don't have an e-mail
address for her, but you could try phoning the Department at (905) 525-9140
ext. 23109 or faxing Prof. Granoff at (905) 525-8161.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Joel Tatelman.

Joel Tatelman,