m/anusvAra & s/visarga

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Thu Nov 6 02:46:57 UTC 1997

At 01:02 AM 11/6/97 +0100, you wrote:
>At 17:03 +0100 5/11/97, DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA wrote:
>

>>We have in mantrasAstra bijAkSarAs like hsauh......!
>
>        I suppose you intend mantrazAstra bIjAkSarAs. But is 'hsauh' a
>*Sanskrit* word or first syllab ?  It sound like the voice of a furious
>Naga and seems onomatopeic ...
>        MMW dictionary ends with 'hveya'. Where this 'hsauh' is attested ?
>Why it is writed in devanagari ? It's a ligature for 'h'+'s' ?
>
>        Regards,
>Dominique
>
>Dominique THILLAUD
>Universite' de Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France

`h' is supposed to represent ziva and `s' sakti, `hsau' is perhaps the dual
form. To all bIjAksarAs the practice is to add either bindu or visarga.
More information may be available from Sir John Woodroffe's books on tantra.

regards,

sarma.