sanketi tamil

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at cco.caltech.edu
Wed May 28 05:09:17 UTC 1997

On Tue, 27 May 1997, Adi Hastings wrote:

> I'm looking for bibliographical references on Sanketi Tamil, a dialect
> spoken in parts of Karnataka. I've uncovered one or two essays (by H. S.

Check the following indirect reference.

Kamatcinata_n, A.
     The Tirunelveli Tamil dialect.  [1st ed.].  Annamalainagar, Annamalai
   University, 1969.
     Series title:  Annamalai University, Chidambaram, India. Dept. of
   Linguistics Publication, no. 19.

Although this is not a direct reference to Sanketi Tamil, a description of
Tirunelveli Tamil should be useful background material. The Sanketis
migrated from the Shencottah area of Tirunelveli district, and travelling
through parts of Kerala, settled in and around the Hassan district of
Karnataka. Most Sanketis have moved out of their original village
settlements into cities like Bangalore and Madras. Nowadays, they prefer
to speak either proper Kannada or proper Tamil, and their particular
dialect is vanishing slowly.

Vidyasankar