Jains and violence

Lars Martin Fosse l.m.fosse at internet.no
Mon May 26 09:13:59 UTC 1997

Royce Wiles wrote:

>In addition to what my friend Eiichi has suggested I would add that the
>best overall scholarly treatment of Jain cosmography is still probably:
>
>        Willibal Kirfel
>
>        Die Kosmographie der Inder : nach Quellen dargestellt.
>        Bonn : Kurt Schroeder, 1920.
>        [Reprint: Hildesheim : Georg Olms, 1967.]
>
>His references are to older editions, generally unavailable, but maybe in
>Hamburg you can see all those editions still. On p. 208-209 he gives a list
>of the main scriptural sources (Svetambara and Digambara).
>
>Then there is
>
>        Ravi Kumar and Collette Caillat. 1981.
>        The Jain cosmology.
>        Basel : R. Kumar, 1981.

Thank you Royce! This should get me started. I assume the 1981 book has the
relevant bibliographic information concerning scholarly work older than
1980. Info on newer scholarly work would still be welcome if any of you
netters should happen to know about it!

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse