Color of Skin

D.H. Killingley D.H.Killingley at newcastle.ac.uk
Thu May 15 11:21:08 UTC 1997

There is a text which _denies_ the correlation between varna and skin
colour: the _VajrasUcI Upanishad_. This text has been printed many times;
the most accessible is in Radhakrishnan's _Principal Upanishads_. There
is a substantially different recension published by A. Weber in
Abhandlungen der Ko"niglichen Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Berlin
(1859), pp. 205-6. Rammohun Roy published a version which shows some
similarities to Weber's as against the usual recension (reprinted
in _rAmamohana granthAbalI, part 4, pp. 45-8).

The text, composed from an Advaita Vedant viewpoint, denies the reality of
the notion of brAhmAna in any sense other than 'knower of Brahman'. It
does so by asking whether one is a brahmin by birth, action, knowledge,
etc., reducing each hypothesis in turn to absurdity.

It includes this passage (using Rammohun's version):

If one is a brahmin by varna, then a brahmin would be white because of
his sattva guna, a kshatriya red because of his sattva and rajas nature,
a vaishya yellow because of his rajas and tamas nature, and a shudra
black because a shudra is made of tamas. Because, now and in former
times, these colours are found in random distribution, varna does not
make a brahmin.

Dr Dermot Killingley
Dept of Religious Studies
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU
Phone 0191 222 6730    Fax 0191 222 5185