hair's colour in sanskrit

JAYABARATHI jaybee at tm.net.my
Wed May 7 09:23:46 UTC 1997

Dominique.Thillaud wrote:

> At 12:58 +0200 28/04/97, I wrote:
> >Dear indologists,
> >       That's very hard to find in a dictionary the words who design
> >hair's colours in epic. I'm interrested by the names for:
> >       white-haired, red-haired, blond-haired, black-haired

	Dear Monsieur Thillaud,

	Regarding hair's colour in Sanskrit:
	I beg to inform that I am not a Sanskritologist.But with due
	humility, may I provide what may serve as pointers with what
	little that I know...

	As someone has already pointed out,the 'colour' followed
	by 'haired' seems to be the general rule.

	Black-hair-

	nIla SikurA- Lalitha Sahasranaama

	susnigdha nIlAlaka SrENi SrungArithE-
					     SyAmaLA dhandakam

	harikESa upavIdhinE - Sri Rudram

	Golden Haired-

	The HiranyakESi Dharmasutra is by a person named
`	HiranyakESin

	Sometime ago I came across a passage whcch mentions about
	a Vedic referance. In this referance, the Brahmins are
	said to possess yellow hair and whiskers.

	In the same source , Indra was described as having stout
	neck, very muscular body and yellow hair and whiskers and beard.
	(Arnold Swarzenegger?)
	I don't remember the source. May be someone better equipped might
	help?
	Probably this colour description might be the closest that
	we can get to "Blond Hair"

	Siva is considered to be Red-haired according to Tamil
	traditions. I don't know any corrolaries in Sanskrit.
	The Siva Sahasranaamam and the Sri Rudram are silent about this.

        I hope somebody can follow up and clarify.

	Bon Jour, Monsieur,

	JAYABARATHI

	Sungai Petani
	Kedah