churki

Gerard Huet Gerard.Huet at inria.fr
Thu Mar 27 22:50:35 UTC 1997

Hello. I am interested in knowing the origins of churki, the tuft of hair
traditionally worn by some brahmins. Is there a mythological tradition,
e.g. with K.r.s.na, is there a ritual usage, was its use restricted to
certain brahmin gotras or to certain sectarian or local traditions, etc.
Was wearing a churki a sign of opposition to modernism in this century,
was there any discrimination towards people wearing it, is there a revival
of its usage in certain circles, does it mean anything today?
Also, what is the linguistic origin of the word? What is the sanskrit
equivalent?
Thank you for pointing me to relevant sources, and I'll summarize.
Gerard Huet