european musical instruments in India

Chandan Raghava Narayan cnarayan at uclink2.berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 26 00:03:38 UTC 1997

Mr. Palaniappan's interesting historical account of Maratha patronage of
classical music along with the introduction of western instruments brought
to mind an interesting conversation I once had with my friend Adheesh
Sathaye...

Isn't it curious that the violin in Indian classical music (Carnatic) is
played with the scroll of the instrument resting on the arch of the foot?
I find this interesting because I was always taught never to touch items
associated with "Sarasvati", ie. books, paper, and musical instruments,
with your feet.
The instrument can just as well be played in the Western "upright"
manner... Might this have to do with it being a Western instrument?
-chandan