wives celebrating for husbands' longevity

Bijoy Misra bmisra at husc.harvard.edu
Fri Mar 7 23:53:23 UTC 1997

In Orissa, the Kartika lamps on the river are floated to
commemorate the voyage of the traders to the Pacific
islands.  I understand similar lamp festivals are celebrated
in Thailand and neigboring areas on Kartika Purnami day,
which possibly signifies the return journey.  Most likely
the travel was between November and April because of
the weather conditions.