Translations of Gitagovinda

S Krishna mahadevasiva at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 25 21:07:31 UTC 1997

This is regarding Jayadevas Gita Govinda and its translations:

Among Indian authoresses who have attempted to take a look at the "Gita
Govinda", we have Kapila Vatsyayan and Monika Verma. A perusal of Kapila
Vatsyayanas works would be interesting in that it compares Bundi and
Mewari Versions of the Gita Govinda. She has also written
up a book on the Assamese pictorial depiction of the Gita Govinda.

I also have a question for people who are interested in the Gita
Govinda:

Jayadeva is variously depicted as having been a native of Orissa
and Bengal( since there is a village called Kendubilva , the village
where Jayadeva lived in both states) or of KErala, since there is a
popular style of singing in Kerala called "sOpAnageetham" which utilises
Jayadevas Ashtapadis. My question is:
Has this question been satisfactorily resolved ? Is it now known for
sure as to which place he belonged to?
REgards
Krishna