Dome in Mosque Architecture originated in India before Islam

mrabe at artic.edu mrabe at artic.edu
Wed Jun 25 00:34:58 UTC 1997

Dear Sudheer,

I'd intended to reply earlier, but this second posting is an invitation to
rifle something off the top, rather than tracking down the necessary
citations:

Basically, I think you are mistaken in your belief that architectural
vaulting that incorporates the _true arch_ or dome was known in India prior
to  the Islamic period!

The much early Buddhist stupas were solid core mounds of brick, later
dressed with stone revetments: they did not make use of voussoirs, or
wedge-shaped blocks that distribute weight along a curvilinear arch.

Instead, traditional Indian zilpins, and their culturals kinsmen among the
Javanese and Khmer of Southeast Asia, made use of the CORBELLED arch (and
vaults that extend further to cover interior spaces).  I can explain the
difference further off-list, maybe with xeroxed illustrations to a postal
address...

Meanwhile you might like to track down an article A.K. Coomaraswamy wrote
decades ago on domes:  it may be republished here:

Coomaraswamy, Ananda Kentish, 1877-1947:  _Essays in early Indian
architecture ; edited and with an introduction by  Michael W. Meister_:
New Delhi : Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts : Oxford University
Press, 1992.:  xxviii, 151 p. : ill. ; 32 cm.

Oh...here's the original citation:  "Symbolism of the Dome," _Indian
Historical Quarterly_ xiv (March 1938), pp. 1-56

Hope this helps,

Michael Rabe
Assoc Prof. Art History
Saint Xavier University
&
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago