hindu once again

iao omar at astro.ocis.temple.edu
Tue Jun 24 00:48:56 UTC 1997

Dear Members of the List:

The word 'hind' is always understood as referring to the region east of
the Indus, that is India. Both in Arabic as well as Persian it has no
derogatory meaning. I am not too familiar with Turkish though. I know of
several Arabs having their last name 'hindi', implying either their
ancesters migrated from the east (India) or that they had some sort of
trade or educational pursuit relating to India.

In fact, deriving its significance from Persian, perhaps, in Urdu, hindu
often meant a 'pandit' or a learned man, (or a long-haired man). But
anyhow I have never heard (and believe me I have heard a lot of things
about hindus growing up as a muslim in India) the implication 'chor'.

regards,

Irfan Omar
Temple University