Derivation of word "Hindu"

Klaus Karttunen KJKARTTU at elo.Helsinki.fi
Mon Jun 23 15:16:02 UTC 1997

Jacob Baltuch wrote:"(I'm just nitpicking but) this is the first time I
hear of a Hebrew version of I Maccabees.
As long as we're dealing with names for India, any conjectures out
there as to the etymology of "meluhha" the Sumerian name for India?"

Sorry for Maccabees! As to Meluhha Sanskrit mleccha, Pali milakkha has
been suggested (but also severely criticized).

Klaus

P.S. I shall be away about three weeks and not checking my e-mail.