Propitiating the Planets

JAYABARATHI jaybee at tm.net.my
Sat Jun 14 12:48:45 UTC 1997

Martin Gansten wrote:

> This time I wonder if anyone could suggest sources (primary and/or
> secondary) dealing with graha-shanti, i.e., the propitiation of planets as a
> remedial measure against adverse astrological indications -- whether as
> worship of the planetary deities per se, or of such main deities of the
> pantheon as are represented by the planets (the moon = Parvati, etc; I
> believe there are several such lists).

	Dear Sir,
		Off-handedly I can think of two books in the English
	language.

		1.NAVAGRAHAS: A COMPREHENSIVE TEXT
			      includes legends, myths, Puja-mantras,
		propitiation of planets.

			Dr.K.N.Saraswathi
			Kadalagudi Publications
			38, Nadesayyar Street,
			T.Nagar,
			Madras-17.
			India

		2.REMEDIAL MEASURES IN ASTROLOGY

			Dr.Gouri Shankar Kapoor
			Ranjan Publications
			16, Ansari Road,
			Darya Ganj,
			New Delhi-110002.
			India

	I have also seen quite a number of articles on this subject
	in the Astrological Magazine of India.
	They may make available exerpts on request.

			Dr.B.V.Raman
			Raman and Rajeswari Research foundation,
			Sri Rajeswari
			Seshadripuram
			Bangalore - 560020
			India
			Tel. 3348646,369229
			Fax. 3313260

	They have a web-page:
		http://www.indiaexpress.com/astrology.html

 The cult of the Navagrahas, and of
> Saturn/Shani especially, seems to enjoy some importance in many temples,
> notably in the South; has anyone written about it?
		In fact several books are available on this. Numerous
	articles are a regular feature in magazines. But they are
	all in Tamil.
		Try contacting:

		Tharppaaranyeswarar Temple,
		Thiru Nallaaru.
		Tamilnadu State
		South India.

		This is the most famous and important centre for
	Sani.
		Apart from the regular mantras, the Tamils also use
	various other prayoga methods. It depends on what cult a person
	belongs to.
		Recitation of cerain hymns of Thevaram, reading
	certain kaandas of Ramayana, ThiruppugaLzh,etc are some of
	the ways resorted to.

	JAYABARATHI

	Sungai Petani
	Malaysia