Brahman divisions

S Krishna mahadevasiva at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 7 02:15:43 UTC 1997

>From indology-request at liverpool.ac.uk Fri Jun  6 01:24:11 1997
>Date: Fri,  6 Jun 1997 09:22:04 BST
>Sender: indology-request at liverpool.ac.uk
>From: Lars Martin Fosse <l.m.fosse at internet.no>
>To: Members of the list <indology at liverpool.ac.uk>
>Subject: Re: Brahman divisions
>
>>          The only exception of sorts i.e. where people make fun
>>of Brahmins coming from a PLACE as opposed to a SUBSECT seems to
>>be in the case of Kumbakkonam town. The well known "Kumbakkonam
>>business/Kumbakkonam effect " seems to be true of all Brahmin natives
of
>>this town irrespective of origin/subsect.
>>Krishna
>
>Excuse me, but this is getting very interesting: What is the well known
>"Kubakkonam business/Kumbakkonam effect"?
>
>Regards,
>
>Lars Martin Fosse

  Aha! The Kumbakkonam effect! The town of Kumbakkonam ,located on the
Cauvery is known for the intellectual quality of its Brahmins i.e
Srinivasa Ramanujan, the mathematician, M.S.Swaminathan,the agricultural
scientist and the eminent Dewan-politician Sir Tanjavur Madhava Rau, to
name a few, are all natives of this place(The last
named gentleman was a distinguished politician of the last century
who manged the unique feat of making it to the dewanship of three
different Indian states and there are writings by people of the likes of
Mahatma Gandhi refering very respectfully to the good work done by him
in various states.) In the last part of the 19th century, the
localcollege was the pre-eminent educational institution in South India
and earned the sobriquet " Oxford of South India". But if the Brahmins
of this town were capable of great intellect, they were equally well
known for their skill at the art of intrigue. There were any number of
Kumbakkonamites who went to become DEwans in the native Indian states.
The writings of quite a few people i.e. S.Y.Krishnaswamy,S.Krishnaswamy
Iyengar, M.G.Ranade( yes, M.G.Ranade of Bombay), J.Chartres Molony refer
to the intellectual/intriguing skills of the natives of this town in
different contexts.
  I guess that the term "Kumbakkonam effect" is an "extinct"
term now, but if one were to peruse writings, debates originating
in Madras of the 30s and 40s, then one would encounter this term
to describe a situation where there was more than what met the eye
at first sight. I remember this term being used frequently in the
"Indian Review"( edited by the legendary G.A.Natesan).

Krishna