question about dates of manuscripts

SUZUKI Takayasu suzuki at culture.ioc.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Tue Jul 15 10:19:12 UTC 1997

On 97/07/15 17:44:16, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:

> > has any Indian manuscript ever been analyzed by radiocarbondating? Or are
> > they typically too precious to be subjected to such an experiment?
>
> Not to my knowledge.  But not because they are too precious, but because
> they are too young.

I think so too. Radiocarbon-dating has usually an error within
about +- 500 years.
Some analyze Indian MSS. through the fibers of the papers or
leaves. They examin them from the point of the era and the area
in which they were used, but I don't remember their names.
Sorry.

--
 SUZUKI Takayasu @ Inst. of Oriental Culture, Univ. of Tokyo
 E-mail: suzuki at ioc.u-tokyo.ac.jp