Oranges

jacob.baltuch at euronet.be jacob.baltuch at euronet.be
Sat Jul 12 16:11:52 UTC 1997

> If there is any evidence of taking other citrus fruits from India onto
>Spain?
>  I find it very difficult to believe that there were no citrus fruits
>in Spain( or that these had to be brought from India).

Believe it. The center of origin of the wild members of genus Citrus
is an area comprising India, China, New Guinea et Polynesia.

Cultivation in the Mediterranean area was started only after the Arab
expansion.

I was told the eastern origin of the plants was recorded for example
in such words as Dutch "sinaasappel" (apple of China? why isn't it
"chinaasappel"?)