Orange: was Etymology of 'tanU'

S Krishna mahadevasiva at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 12 14:40:20 UTC 1997

Does anybody have any idea of how and when orange cultivation started in
what is now Spain? Or for that matter was there any trade between India
and Spain?
 I do know that the Moors had some kind of a trade connection in the
12th century( from what I remember) but is there any evidence of the
non-existence of orange trees in Spain before that?
 If these fruits were really taken from India to Spain, then how did
they store them in those days when they had no cold-storage( put them in
ice-sacks wouldn't have helped since the ice would have melted in the
hot tropical weather.)Of course, I am not sure if they just took the
seeds with them.
 If there is any evidence of taking other citrus fruits from India onto
Spain?
  I find it very difficult to believe that there were no citrus fruits
in Spain( or that these had to be brought from India). If I am not
wrong, there are references to such fruits both in Classical Greek and
Roman cultures.... Can anybody give me an practical explanation of how
these fruits were taken from India to Spain?

Skeptically
Krishna

>This seems to be the accepted etymology of naranja:
>
>Spanish naranja < Arabic naaranj < Persian naarang < Sanskrit naaranga
>
>English orange came through a similar route < Old French orange <
Arabic
>naaranj, etc.
>
>The question is, where does Skt. naaranga come from?  MW compares it to
>naaga-ranga; and Gomez de Silva (in his Spanish etymological
dictionary)
>suggests it could possibly come from the Tamil word naru, fragrant.
Any