The Buddha's White Teeth

Joel Tatelman tatelman at total.net
Thu Jul 10 02:08:57 UTC 1997

Regarding the Puraa.nic description of the Buddha as kaa.saayavastra,
mu.n.dita and 'sukladanta:

I don't know why white teeth is significant to the author of the puraa.na
- but I do recollect that, as part of their general ascesis, certain
Brahmanical ascetics did not brush their teeth. Perhaps in at least some
times and places a Pepsodent smile on a renunciant was a sure-fire way of
identifying him or her as Bauddha.

Also, for what it's worth, su'sukladanta (or -da.m.s.tra) is one of the
32 mahaapuru.salak.sa.na (see BHSD, p. 459b, no. 26).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Joel.

Dr. Joel Tatelman,
31 Grenadier Road, Toronto, Canada M6R 1R1
Tel.: (416) 535-4997
E-mail: tatelman at total.net