Panjabi grammar, accent, comparative analysis

B. Reusch reusch at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 8 14:57:33 UTC 1997

At 11:47 +0100 7/8/97, Adrian Burton wrote:

>As far as I recall they [tones] have not been connected to the Vedic
>accents but are
>said to have developped relatively recently as a result of  phonemic
>(tonemic) change.

You are right. They compensate for the loss of voice-aspiration and plain
aspiration. I was asking for more general and historical analyses, assuming
that I must be missing something.
Also, I recall having heard that Panjabi is the only modern Indo-Aryan
language that may have derived from Vedic rather than from Classical Skt.
and would like to have specific sources on that.
Thank you.

Beatrice Reusch
University of California, Berkeley