Indo-Germanic

Lars Martin Fosse l.m.fosse at internet.no
Fri Feb 28 09:28:51 UTC 1997

Luis Gonzales-Reiman wrote:

>Very good point.  The same can be said about the svastika (whether right or
>left pointing).
>
>But what about the term "Indo-Germanic," Lars?

In spite of the history of the word, "Indo-Germanic" has today, in my
opinion, been "sanitized". Very few people today would use the word with its
old ideological connotations. However, I can't see that it is a good term.
Personally I prefer Indo-European. But I do not feel uneasy if a modern
scholar uses "Indo-Germanic". I believe the frequency of Fascists among
Indologists these days is fairly insignificant.

Best regards,

Lars Martin