Human Indology (was German Indology)

gthursby at religion.ufl.edu gthursby at religion.ufl.edu
Thu Feb 27 17:47:24 UTC 1997

I've long been amazed at my textual and philological colleagues in academic
life, but never more so than currently.  It seems to me that some of the
great textual scholars have been tenacious if not obsessed in their focus on
philological, linguistic, and/or historical problems that emerge from (for
the most part) written records.  These qualities somehow seem slightly less
attractive when the topic is chauvinism -- whether real, perceived,
imagined, or wholly invented to generate responses in others.  I trust that
the discussion will move along from this topic within my lifetime.

With respectful regards,
Gene Thursby
U. of Florida

                      <gthursby at religion.ufl.edu>