German Indology

Irving Hexham hexham at acs.ucalgary.ca
Sun Feb 23 16:28:56 UTC 1997

Lars raises an interesting point. Wops are generally
regarded as southern Europeans. Frogs, of course, are the
French.

To the purist a Wog is a Westernized Oriental Gentleman.
But, in common usage it means anyone living on the wrong
side of the English Channel, which is why we always feel
sorry for Europeans when fog isolates the continent from
England.

It's also probably worth noting that our national poet
laureate, Rudyard Kipling, has often been wrongly accused
of racism because of his line "the lesser breeds without
the law." Most people think that this is a reference to
Africans or perhaps Indians. It was not! Kipling loved
India and enjoyed his time in South Africa.

	The "lesser breeds" were our European wards the
Austrians, Germans and other folk who don't understand
gamesmanship and complain when the English defeat them in
things like soccer. Of course, when we are defeated they
get very upset if our lads riot. It's really not fair.

So what are you? Probably a Viking.

Sincerely, Baldrick, Basil Faulty and Andy Capp

Irving Hexham
hexham at acs.ucalgary.ca