German Indology

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Feb 20 15:03:35 UTC 1997

Thanks to Gabriele Zeller for describing the book 'German Indology'
clearly.

I was very startled when I first saw this little book some years ago.
Such a production in the United Kingdom would be quite beyond the pale.
It wouldn't be a problem listing the Oriental Institutes in Britain, say,
but to go further and list the details of all British-born scholars
working elsewhere in the world just on the basis of their nationality
would be felt to be distasteful, to say the least.

To do "German Indology" credit, it does list Emmerick in Hamburg, in spite
of his Australian nationality (at least I assume he still holds an ozzie
passport).  But this goes against the spirit of the booklet.

All the best,
Dominik

--
Dominik Wujastyk               Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine
email: d.wujastyk at ucl.ac.uk          183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, England