Physical impediment, and fighting prowess, in Mahabharata

Russel Steven Moxham russel at RHI.HI.IS
Mon Dec 29 07:01:38 UTC 1997

I believe that, in Mahabharata, Arjuna (although not blind) learns to fire
arrows in darkness. Would someone please tell me just where in the epic
this occurs? Does Mahabharata mention other great blind warriors? (If so,
where?) Also, I seem to recall that in Peter Brook's movie of [some of] the
epic there's a contest of martial skills where at least one warrior
(himself an archer, I think), wanting (or forced?) to demonstrate the
extent of his mastery, hacks off his own thumb. Is there some such contest
in the epic? (If so, where?) Thanks--Russell Moxham