Topography

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Thu Dec 18 11:41:03 UTC 1997

At 07:30 PM 12/17/97 +0000, you wrote:
>I am working at the moment on topographical names in and around Rajgir
>(ancient Rajagrha/Girivraja).  In B.C.Law's Rajagriha in Ancient
>Literature there are two lists of names for the five mountains which
>surround Girivraja.  Both are supposed to be in the Sabhaparvan, the first
>in 21.2 (Bombay ed), the second 21.11.  However, the second list isn't
>there; and according to Sorenson is not in the Mbh at all.  Could anyone
>help me with information as to indices I might look in which are
>similar to Sorenson and cover other texts (e.g. Jain sutras)
>
>In case you come across the list in your reading somewhere it is:
>Pandara:Vipula: Varahaka: Chaityaka: Matango
>
>Regards,
>
>Robert Harding

srImanmahAbhAratam,(mUla mAtram, tasya prathamO bhAgah),Gita Press, Gorakhpur

In sabhA parvA

vaihArO vipulah sailO varAhO vRSabhas tathA
tathA rSigiris tAta zubhAzcaityakapaJcamAh. 21.2

Between 21.10 and 21.11 there are these in brackets ( perhaps indicating
as prakSipta.)

pANDarE vipulE caiva thathA vArAhakE~pi ca
caityakE ca girizrESTE mAtaGgE ca zilOccayE
EtESu parvatEndrESu sarvasiddhamahAlayAh
yatInAmAzramAccaiva munInAm ca mahAtmnAm
vRSabhsya tamAlasya mahAvIryasya vai tathA
gandharvarakSasAm caiva nAgAnAm ca tathAlayAh

regards,

sarma.