Apple Indian language kit

JR Gardner jgardner at BLUE.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU
Tue Dec 16 04:31:48 UTC 1997

I was using it during ht etext phase.  In that time the "B" in WordPerfect
would not render a devanagari b-- or anything else.  the absense of
accents were also a problem (someday when I finish my dissertation Apple's
okay'd me to make the full set . . . ).  I imported ILK text into a
Three-dimensional modelling prgram by Strata and they looked great.  I
would imagine a sophisticated publishing package like Adobe would have no
problem with it. HOWEVER-- in the texts with which I did use ILK, it
greatly shifted the verticle spacingo f the lines in which it was typed.
In other words, it really threw off the look of normal single or
double-spacing.  That was the test/developer releases, however-- and I'm
sure this is now worked out.  Make sure whomever you buy it from lets you
try it out.  Academic price is about $200 or less, and a dealer should
have it installed onsite for a try-out.  the typing interface is a joy,
and the output is great quality .  Just make sure the spacing from
line-to-line is okay.

John Robert Gardner      Obermann Center
School of Religion         for Advanced Studies
University of Iowa       University of Iowa
319-335-2164             319-335-4034
http://vedavid.org       http://www.uiowa.edu/~obermann/
It is ludicrous to consider language as anything other
than that of which it is the transformation.