Anagrams and Phonetic Wordplay

Anil Gupta sristi at AD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Thu Dec 11 16:02:11 UTC 1997

I have received an interesting response from a young boy, Gaurav who
obviously knows more than I do on this subject

.anagram:

The messge you forwarded was interesting.  I remember hearing or reading
some
Hindu myth where an anagram is used cleverly by someone.  It might have
also
been in some philosophy of Hinduism- I can't quite remember.  However, I
did
read a short book about Hanumanji where he uses a play on words.  At the
time
of the battle in the Ramayana, after the death of Kumbhakarna, Ravana
performs
a Chandi Yagya to Durga Devi in order to gain a boon.  Hanuman dressed up
as a
Brahman stident and served the learned Brahmans that were to chant the
mantras
for Ravana.  Pleased with Hanuman, the Brahmans granted him a boon.
Hanuman
asked for one change in one of the mantras, which read:

"Jai twam Devi Chamunde,
    Jai bhoootardiharini
Jai sarvagate devi
    Kalaratri namostute!"

According to the book, Hanuman asked to replace the syllable "ha" with
"ka",
changing the meaning of the second line from "Hail the remover of all evil
spirits" to "Hail the creator of all evil spirits."  Thus the goddess
turned
hostile towards Ravan and helped to bring about his defeat.  I found that
interesting and similar to what the forwarded message was about.  Would
that
play on words be called an "anagram"?

Gaurav
Varuag at aol.com