delocutives [was Graha epithets (tArA,tArakA and tAraka)]

George Thompson thompson at JLC.NET
Thu Dec 11 11:37:24 UTC 1997

Dear Dominique et al,

Perhaps I misunderstand Benveniste, but it seems to me that even in your
interpretation of the terms 'totoyer' and 'vouvoyer' both may still be
understood as delocutives. The expression 'etre a tu et a toi avec
quelqu'un' seems to me to refer to a discourse convention, so that the verb
formation can be said to derive from such a convention, rather than from
the normal morphological system of French. I think that these constructions
are very much like the Skt ones mentioned: ahaMkAra, asmitA, etc. But
perhaps I am using the term 'delocutive' too loosely.

Best wishes,
George