delocutives [was Graha epithets (tArA,tArakA and tAraka)]

Dominique.Thillaud thillaud at UNICE.FR
Thu Dec 11 02:16:05 UTC 1997

At 18:15 +0100 10/12/97, George Thompson wrote:
>>I am entirely unaware of any verbs such as 'to encore', or 'to yes'.

        In the case of 'to yes', Benveniste give a reference at: Mencken,
The American language, p.195.

>Consider other examples: in French one can 'tutoyer' and 'vouvoyer' ['to
>address as *tu* or *vous*']

        Despite Benveniste advice, I don't believe this two verbs beeing
delocutives. 'tutoyer', with the reduplication 'tu' + 'toi' seems a
formation parallel to the expression 'etre a tu et a toi avec quelqu'un'.
It covers the two cases 'sujet' and 'regime' of the ancient French, two
forms unable to be in the same elocution. Hence, it is more
'demorphological' (!?!) than delocutive. 'vouvoyer' or 'voussoyer' are
formed by analogy.

        Sorry for this small non-Indological parenthesis.
Dominique

PS: George, I'm yet trained to write free-mindly my poor English, that's no
more an ordeal ;-)

Dominique THILLAUD
Universite' de Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France