Graha epithets (tArA,tArakA and tAraka)

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Wed Dec 10 15:40:49 UTC 1997

At 03:42 PM 12/10/97 +0100, Dominique.thillaud writes:

>        About *tAra.
>
>        To find how the weak form of tArA could be *tAra, we must simply
>part of one fact: tAra, coming from tRR- 'to cross over', is a thematic
>agent noun 'saviour'. Early, the gender of such nouns was just 'animate'
>without distinction between masculine and feminine. And, actually, MMW
>begins tAra by 'mfn.'. It's probable that the first name of the Goddess was
>tAra; later with the extension of H2 feminine forms, analogy cause a
>refection (not allways, we have examples of Greek Goddesses names in -os)
>and the common form becomes tArA, except in some fixed outdated syntagms (a
>very common phenomenon in every languages).
>
>        About *tAra-kAma-ya
>
>        We have at least an other example of an epic named as the quest of
>the love of a woman: the Irish 'Wooing of Etain'.
>
>        Better ?
>Dominique
>
>Dominique THILLAUD
>Universite' de Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France

If tAra can represent tArA, I have one interpretation

tArakAmah = one who desires tArA . It is just like `svargakAmah', `bhUtikAmah'
etc.

tArakAmayOh will be possessive dual form i.e., the two who desire tArA

saGgrAmah tArakAmayOh = war of the two who desire tArA

If the visarga at the end is lost and somebody interpreted `O' at the end
as due to transformation of visarga, you will get saGgramah tArakAmayah.

regards,

sarma.