Graha epithets (tArA,tArakA and tAraka)

jonathan silk silk at WMICH.EDU
Wed Dec 10 16:04:25 UTC 1997

I am entirely unable to contribute to this (interesting!) discussion of
tAra- etc. However, one small point made by our friend Dominique requires
correction.  He wrote, concerning delocution:

>        And the English and the American know verbs as 'to hail', 'to
>encore', 'to yes'.

As a native speaker (whether educated or not is another question) of
American English, I am entirely unaware of any verbs such as 'to encore',
or 'to yes'.  As to "to hail", of course it is a well-known verb, but
whether it comes from "hail!" I wonder about. One could answer the question
with a look at the OED, but my copy is at home.  Anyway, the concept is
interesting, even if the English examples are not entirely correct.

Cheers, jonathan

Jonathan Silk
Department of Comparative Religion
Western Michigan University