Source Request & bodhi Thanks/summary

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Wed Dec 3 17:16:35 UTC 1997

At 10:54 03.12.97 -0600, you wrote:
>Greetings:
>
>Does anyone have access to a copy of the following:
>
>"Light, soul and visions in the Veda. Poona 1991. (Prof. P.D. Gune
>Memorial Lectures.)"

John, do you have full bibliographic data on this? (Or was it written by P.
D. Gune himself?). I am interested in this too!

>While the consensus appears to be for the meaning of bhuu viz. bodhi as a
>form both budh and bhuu share, there is no agreement as to a solid
>grammatical derivation supporting how this might have come to be.  It
>might be that a resolution favoring one root over another could be
>indicated in accent (bodhi remains unaccented each occasion--to which I
>now add RV 4.16.17), but I've not gotten that far without my books here at
>this office (if anyone knows if accent might differ, I welcome the news).

If it is from the root budh, shouldn't we expect boddhi < budh + dhi. It
still seems to me that bhuu is a better bet. But I am sitting at home, and I
don't have access to the better books in the Indological library. I
therefore have to rely on my faltering memory.

Best regards,

Lars Martin

Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,