Unexpected removal from the INDOLOGY list

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Mon Dec 1 12:46:29 UTC 1997

This is just a little administrative note about those times when your
subscription to INDOLOGY may be cancelled without your knowledge.  This
happens about once a week to someone or other on this list.

Sometimes email programs run amuck, or we change addresses (or have them
changed on our behalf, unbeknown), our account disk space fills up, or
other glitches happen that affect incoming email.

If a glitch causes your email to bounce, then the system operators at
Liverpool (Alan Thew and Chris Wooff) start to receive a deluge of
returned INDOLOGY messages that "can't be delivered" to you.

They then email you about the problem, but that email also gets bounced
back to them, as "undeliverable".

At that point, the only thing that can be done is to remove you from the
INDOLOGY distribution list.  You can easily re-subscribe when the problem
is solved and, thanks to the new WWW list archive, you can easily catch up
on what you may have missed.

Subjectively, what happens is that you notice your email system is a bit
weird, perhaps.  The next this is that you find you are no longer
receiving INDOLOGY messages.  A quick check shows that your subscription
is cancelled.  You get indignant and hurt.  You call your lawyer and
explore your rights ....

I hope this explanation will help to forestall any confusion or worry if
this happens to you one day.

All the best,
Dominik

--
Dominik Wujastyk            Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine
email: d.wujastyk at ucl.ac.uk       183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, England