rescuing things

Bijoy Misra bmisra at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Dec 1 04:04:52 UTC 1997

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Michael Witzel wrote:

> THAT is how one could respect India's heritage. Not by TALKING,
> however fashionable.

I agree people have to get more serious to be protected against
being "rescued".  I will do my bit.

To build a repository in Bhubaneswar is a good idea.
I will contact people there and pursue the idea.

But on the point in question, the assumed guardianship of material
on "rescue" missions should be abandoned.  One very easily sees
the shallowness of such missions.  I agree that the conditions
in the subcontinent are not the greatest, but it's reasonable
to speculate that the material would survive longer than anything
else on the planet.  Don't people agree?

- Bijoy Misra.