Question about vikrtis in Vedaadhyayana

F. Smith fsmith at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Fri Aug 22 18:27:10 UTC 1997

I believe that Madhav is correct about this. I will try to check, But RV
recitation in the "srauta ritual is always eka"sruti, and the advanced
paa.thas must retain their accents (for brief examples see an
appendix to Satavalekar's expanded RV text). It is possible that
non-"srauta rituals in South India could contain vik.rtipaa.tha, but that
would be the result of "modern ritualizing" (as my old teacher in Madras,
Agnihotram Ramanuja Thathacharya, calls it). As an immediate reaction,
however, I must say I have never read, heard of, or heard vik.rtis in
"srauta ritual.

Fred Smith
Univ. of iowa