TOC & CFP & APPEAL: _International Journal of Hindu Studies_

Mittal Sushil mittals at MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Mon Aug 11 14:04:59 UTC 1997

		 INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HINDU STUDIES
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

				CONTENTS

		    VOLUME 1, NUMBER 2, AUGUST 1997
		      (available in about 4 weeks)

ARTICLES:

When Rahu devours the moon: The myth of the birth of
Krsna Caitanya  ~ 221-64
Tony K. Stewart, North Carolina State University

The yogi and the Goddess  ~ 265-87
Nicholas F. Gier, University of Idaho

Jaina ideology and early Mughal trade with Europeans  ~ 288-313
Ellison Banks Findly, Trinity College

Ajatasattu and the future of psychoanalytic anthropology
Part II of III: The imperative of the wish  ~ 314-36
Dan W. Forsyth, University of Southern Colorado

What's a God? The quest for the right understanding of devata in
Brahmanical ritual theory (mimamsa)  ~ 337-85
Francis X. Clooney, Boston College

Radhakrishnan as advocate of the class/caste system as a universal
religio-social system  ~ 386-400
Robert N. Minor, University of Kansas

BOOK REVIEWS AND NOTICES, ~ 401-20

		    ABOUT THE JOURNAL & CALL FOR PAPERS

The aim of the _International Journal of Hindu Studies_ is to examine
Hinduism centrally and in a special way. It wishes to consider Hinduism
analytically and comparatively as a "form of life" as clarified by its
contrasts and similarities to other historical and present day forms. This
is to say that we will be less concerned with the intrinsic forms of
Hinduism and its history, as illuminated by philological and descriptive
studies.  Rather, our focus will be, on the one hand, on Hinduism's
adaptations to a wide range of historical circumstances and ecological,
economic, and political possibilities and, on the other, on the Hindu
forms that work "on the ground" in particular places and times to generate
special kinds of social, cultural, and psychological order and problems.
	We consider this to be necessarily a comparative exploration and
welcome (and need) contributions from scholars in other fields who wish to
bring their own studies of religion, world views, theories of modernity
and pre-modernity, social organization and social control, and so on, into
dialogue with Hindu studies. We equally encourage South Asia scholars to
explore such perspectives in their own work.
	We wish to explore whether it may be productive to ask--in
addition to the descriptive "_What_ is Hinduism?"--the theoretical
question (or questions, for we expect there is a large and productive set
of answers) "_Why_ is Hinduism the way it is?"
	The Journal, therefore, invites submissions of a comparative or
theoretical nature in all fields of the social sciences and humanities in
the hope of furthering a dialogue that centers on one of the great human
creations, Hinduism, which differs in so many respects from the religions
and societies that have informed much of classical Western thought.
	Articles falling within the broad and deliberately somewhat vague
boundaries we envisage will be chosen on the basis of the quality,
importance and general interest of the research, the force of theoretical
argument, and felicity of expression.
	Completed manuscripts, inquiries about material for possible
publication, and correspondence to the editor should be sent to the
Journal's editorial office: Sushil Mittal, Editor, _International Journal
of Hindu Studies_, International Institute of India Studies, 1270 St-Jean,
St-Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada J2S 8M2. Tel (514) 771-0213, Fax (514)
771-2776, Email <mittals at magellan.umontreal.ca>.
	Books for review and correspondence concerning reviews should be
sent to: Carl Olson, Review Editor, _International Journal of Hindu
Studies_, Department of Religious Studies, Allegheny College, Meadville,
Pennsylvania 16335-3902, USA. Tel (814) 332-3313, Fax (814)  333-8180,
Email <colson at alleg.edu>
	_International Journal of Hindu Studies_ (ISSN 1022-4556) is
published three times a year in April, August, and December. Annual
subscription rates: Institutional: $150 (North America); $156 (Rest of
world). Individual: $60 (North America); $66 (Rest of world). Students:
$30 (North America); $36 (Rest of world). Orders from outside Canada must
be paid in US dollars. Prices include postage.
	To order a subscription, to receive advertising information, or to
reserve ad space in the Journal, contact World Heritage Press, Journals
Department, 1270 St-Jean, St-Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada J2S 8M2. Tel (514)
771-0213, Fax (514) 771-2776.

			     JOURNAL HOMEPAGE

Full details on _International Journal of Hindu Studies_ can be found on
the Journal homepage at: <http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/gthursby/ijhs/>.

The site includes a statement of aims and scope, list of editors,
information for prospective contributors, reviewers, subscribers, and
advertisers.  Also includes contents, abstracts, and information about
authors for each issue as published, and plans for upcoming issues.

			          APPEAL

Currently the International Institute of India Studies and World Heritage
Press are engaged in a subscription drive on behalf of _International
Journal of Hindu Studies_. If you like what we are doing please help us
obtain new subscribers. Please encourage your colleagues and students and
get your library to subscribe to _International Journal of Hindu Studies_.
Institutional subscriptions are a key to success for a journal.  Every
subscription counts!!! Many thanks in advance.