Vimanam (Re: A question)

GANESANS at cl.uh.edu GANESANS at cl.uh.edu
Mon Apr 28 19:55:03 UTC 1997

          Vimanam
         *********

I am reading Kamban's Ramayanam (11th century?). This is in relation
to editing of a late 16th century Ramayanam, set to taaLam.
This is an exact retelling of Kamban and a condensation in a different
metre. Thakkai R.'s first 5 kANDams have been printed by
Dept. of Archaeolgy, Madras, 1983. I am working on
YuddhakaaNDam, about 5000 viruttams in Kamban, reduced to about
1650 taravu koccakak kalippA in thakkai r.

After the War, Raman & co., including all vanaras, climb
aboard a vimanam. On the way back, Raman explains many events
and the places of occurence to Siithai. The pushpaka vimanam
is huge and there are beautiful descriptions in Kamban.

I am sure there are earlier descriptions in Tamil, may be in
Ciivaka CintaamaNi, etc.,

Does Valmiki describe vimaanams and air travel?

Wondering from Johnson Space Center,
N. Ganesan
ganesans at cl.uh.edu

or