Impact of English language on Hindi

Danuta Stasik STASIKD at plearn.edu.pl
Wed Apr 23 15:33:02 UTC 1997

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997 18:41:09 BST pwyzlic said:

>Dear Members of the list,
>
>A student is looking for literature on the influence of English on modern
>Hindi, especially on gender attribution to English loan words in Hindi and
>on borrowing of verbs from English. Here, in our library, we could only
>find works like "Indianization of English". Any help will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Peter Wyzlic
>
>--
>Peter Wyzlic                                    pwyzlic at pwyz.rhein.de

Yamuna Kachru has written on this subject in a number of her articles and
essays, e.g.:
   'Impact of expanding domains of use on a standard language: contemporary
Hindi in India'; in Studies in the lingustic sciences, vol. 17. no. 1, 1987;
   'Corpus planning for modernization: sanskritization and englishization of
Hindi'; In: as above, vol. 19, no. 1, 1989, where you can find a useful
bibliography.
    With best wishes, Danuta Stasik
Oriental Intstitute
University of Warsaw