problems with sanskrit font...

pwyzlic pwyzlic at pwyz.rhein.de
Tue Apr 22 19:21:15 UTC 1997

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Anand Venkt Raman wrote:

> I am trying to typeset a page in TeX with with some sanskrit text on
> it using Charles Wikner's sanskrit package.  However, although I am
> certain I got the entire package (fonts/sanskrit.gz)

Most probably you mean sanskrit.tar.gz? The compression program
gzip can only store one file.

> dvips gives me the following error about a missing file skt10.  Any
> help in solving this urgent problem would be greatly appreciated.

> dvipsk 5.66a Copyright 1986-97 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
> ' TeX output 1997.04.22:1639' -> test.ps
> kpathsea: Running MakeTeXPK skt10 657 600 magstep\(0.5\) canonex
> /usr/local/share/texmf/web2c/MakeTeXnames: Could not map typeface
> abbreviation k
> t.
> /usr/local/bin/MakeTeXPK: Running mf \mode:=canonex;
> mag:=magstep(0.5); scrollmo
> de; input skt10
> This is METAFONT, Version 2.718 (Web2c 7.0)
>
> kpathsea: Running MakeTeXMF skt10
> ! I can't find file `skt10'.

I am using tetex 0.4 which is based on the previous version of
Web2c, so things may have changed. In my case the MakeTeX-scripts
look for filenames either in the filename database which rests in
/var/texfonts/ls-R or in the .map files in $TEXMF/fontname. I
have a file $TEXMF/fontname/special.map where I can specify
filenames and their locations for non-standard font names. For
example I have added the following:

tc		jknappen	tc
wasy		jknappen	sauter
stmary		jknappen	sauter
@c Added by pwyz (local stuff)
skt10		public		misc
gtib		public		misc
gtibsp		public		misc

This means: search skt10 in $TEXMF/fonts/source/public/misc.

Perhaps this helps.
\bye
Peter Wyzlic                                    pwyzlic at pwyz.rhein.de